John Irving
Quarter 3
Book 4
In this coming-of-age story about a attentive boy Johnny, the town of Gravesend and the people living in it are narrated. Johnny focuses his story on his best friend Owen Meany whose voice is high pitched, squeaky and characterized by ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. Owen seems like a normal boy, but is viewed by his friend Johnny as a miracle. Owen is the smartest boy at Gravesend Academy, and despite getting kicked out for vandalizing school property, goes onto being a military official. Owen dies by saving Vietnamese children in an Arizona airport, foreseen in his ever-so-real dream. Owen knew the date of his death since he was 11 and dreamed about it on the stage of a Christmas show put on by Johnny's step-father, which is ironic because his family owns a marble company which makes grave stones. I wondered why Owen followed the Vietnamese children and saved their lives instead of saving his. Owen could have escaped to another state on the date of his death and let someone else save the kids, instead of taking his own life. I think it was because Owen was very religious and did not want to hurt G-d in any way. If I knew the day I would die I would not be able to lead a normal life like Owen did.
No comments:
Post a Comment